Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How long will Orbitera be available to access after the migration to CloudCheckr?
A: Orbitera will be shut down June 30th, 2018 for data collection. You will have access to the data for your May 2018 usage until August 31st, 2018.
Q: When should I create my CloudCheckr account, per these instructions: https://support.cloudcheckr.com/cross-account-roles/
A: All Users will be set up starting June 25th, 2018 and will be completed through the end of July 2018
Q: How long does it take for CloudCheckr to collect my AWS data?
A: CloudCheckr collects your AWS data using multiple collectors such as S3, Detailed Billing Report, CloudTrail, AWS Config, and the AWS API. Here are the typical time-frames for each:
- S3 – The time to collect your S3 data is dependent on the number of S3 objects you are storing within AWS. On average, CloudCheckr collects 250 million objects per day. By default we run your S3 updates once every 7 days.
- CloudWatch – CloudCheckr collects your CloudWatch data once a day. How long this job takes to run is dependent on the size of your CloudTrail logs.
- CloudTrail/Config – CloudCheckr collects your CloudTrail/AWS Config files every hour.
- AWS API – CloudCheckr collects a complete inventory of your resources and settings every 24 hours. The time to collect this data is entirely dependent on the size of your AWS deployment. Smaller AWS accounts will have their data available within 30 minutes, with larger accounts taking 1-2 hours but possibly up to 24 hours. CloudCheckr will send a Summary email of its findings once your data is available.
Q: Will using CloudCheckr cause me to incur any additional charges from Amazon Web Services?
A: Amazon does charge a very small fee per API call (which we use to access your account). Example: If you have 1 million S3 objects, Amazon will charge you approximately $0.05 for CloudCheckr to inventory those files. 1 billion S3 objects would be $5.00.
Q: How do I change my password?
A: You can change your password at any time by choosing the Settings menu at the top of the page.
Q: Can I give access to my CloudCheckr account to others?
A: DLT will work with the customer to help determine who should have access. We create access and assign users.
Q: How can I view a complete list of my available accounts?
A: All of your accounts will be listed on the Accounts page. Once you have opened an account, you can view and access your other accounts by using the drop down in the top left menu.
Q: Where can I find the secret and access keys needed to add Amazon Web Services (AWS) credentials to CloudCheckr?
A: We recommend that you create a user in IAM with read-only access and use those credentials within CloudCheckr. If you need assistance creating a Read-Only AWS user, review the topic, Creating An AWS User Group and Policy. This topic will also instruct you on how to obtain the secret and access keys.
Q: Can I view my Trusted Advisor checks within CloudCheckr?
A: Yes! You can have CloudCheckr import your Trusted Advisor checks into your CloudCheckr account. This will create a new tab in the Best Practices report labeled “Trusted Advisor”.
Note: You will need to give access for Trusted Advisor to CloudCheckr for this information to show up in the Best Practice report. To provide access to Trusted Advisor you must grant “support:*”, permissions to the IAM user used for CloudCheckr. Please contact email@example.com with any questions about this.
* Additional cost might be associated with this level of access.
Q: Will I be able to view historical billing information from Orbitera?
A: No, you will not be able to access that information. All of your DBR information is available in your S3 bucket. We suggest that you pull and save data from Orbitera if needed. Old invoices can be provided at any time.
Q: Will there be an option to continue to use Orbitera?
A: No. Data in Orbitera will be through June 30, and will be cutoff on 7/31/2018. Make sure any backups that are needed are saved and stored accordingly.
Q: Who can I reach out to for additional questions?
A: Feel free to contacts us at Cloud@DLT.com